We formally open our season this Saturday, with Majors Baseball and Softball games taking place at our field at Marge Jones Park, in Rockport, at 9:00 a.m.. As with every year, we will be holding an Opening Day Ceremony following the morning's games. Unlike most years, the 2021 Opening Day Ceremony will take place virtually - with limited numbers of folks coming to Marge Jones Park.
We will be webcasting the events starting at 11:00 a.m. through our Facebook Live account. The direct link to use to watch the ceremony is https://fb.me/e/5lh3djycr.
You can also find the link by looking under "Events" on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fivetownlittleleague/
During our ceremony, we will be celebrating all that has taken place this season after a year without baseball and softball in 2020. We are so fortunate that are programs are go forward this season and for our children to be running, hitting, throwing, and catching on the many fields of our Five Towns.
We ask our Tee Ball and Minors families not to come to Marge Jones Park this Saturday, except to be spectators for one of our games scheduled for the fields. We are hoping to minimize the number of people who attend for the 11:00 a.m. events -- which attract upwards of 500 people in total on a normal year.
The Marge Jones schedule (tentative) is as follows:
- 9:00 - Rotary vs. Knoxers (baseball) and CedarWorks vs. Hammond Lumber (softball)
- 11:00 - Opening Day Welcome
- Ceremonial "lighting" of the new scoreboards (thanks to Allen Financial Group and Pepsi for their sponsorship! and for Fitzy, LLC and Hedstrom Electric for their work in installing the new scoreboards)
- Announcing our our Teams, Sponsors, and Volunteers
- Presentation of the American Flag and the National Anthem
- Introduction of 12-year-olds and recitation of the Little League Pledge
- Ceremonial "First Pitches" on the baseball field -- honoring the memories of Theodore Hedstrom and Lila Jackson
- 12:00 - Clear the field to prepare for the 1:00 pm baseball game -- Lions vs. McCormicks
- 1:00 -- Lions vs. McCormicks (baseball)
On our other fields on Saturday:
- First National Bank (AAA Minors Softball) vs. Thomaston at George C. Hall Field, in Rockland, 10:00 a.m.
- Lincolnville Fire Dept. vs. Jaret & Cohn (AAA Minors Baseball) at True Park, in Hope, 10:00 a.m.
- Maine Coast Construction vs. Bench Dogs (AA Minors Baseball) at True Park, in Hope, 1:00 p.m.
- Horch Roofing (AAA Minors Baseball practice) at True Park, in Hope, 4:00 p.m.
We hope for healthy crowds of spectators at all of our games this Saturday and throughout the season. We ask our spectators to review our Covid-19 Health and Safety Guidelines before arriving. We do not require spectators to wear masks but ask all spectators to respect each other's space and try to maintain a 6-foot distance from others while on the sidelines.
We are still looking for an interested Five Town Little League player - with some musical interest and ability - to either 1) play the National Anthem on her/his favorite easy-to-travel instrument, or 2) sing the National Anthem. Please contact Rick Thackeray immediately if your child is interested in such a performance on Saturday morning.
We're looking forward to a safe and enjoyable Opening Day. We hope you will be a part of it.